What is your style of RV travel?

33 Comments

• kathy - 13 years ago

we are "purposeful" tourists, a unifying theme for trips - the last was the "Bourbon, BBQ & Blues" trip through the Midwest/South - and a heavy dose of short term "meandering" as we allow additional time for the places/events that you cannot anticipate when planning from afar. Just great fun!

• JIm Rife - 14 years ago

I checked other because some times we are purposeful other times we are destined. I can't talk my wife into going full time yet if we become full time we will become workkampers,,

• Lindsay Richards - 14 years ago

We usually set a long term goal destination of about 1,000 to 1,500 miles and kinda follow whatever takes us there. We normally don't make reservations and like to stay at least 2 days per stop. We usually start thinking about where to stay about 2 PM. We have been in 44 states since retiring years ago. It isn't a race.

• Linda Carlson - 14 years ago

One of our first RV trips in our new 30' motorhome took us to a garage sale in San Diego,CA where we found our all time favorite book telling us of the most scenic drives in america. Whenever we hit the road, which is monthly during the year and several months during the summer, we always use this book as our guide. It has taken us to many "cool" out of the way places and "hot" little known adventures. Our goal is to visit all 50 states, with this great book showing us the way.

• TAG & JKG - 14 years ago

We checked work but actually qualify to have checked all categories. We are in our 11th year full timing so we have cycled into each category. As life's changes keep us flexible. We love our lifestyle and the flexibility it gives us.

• Jean - 14 years ago

I voted purposeful because much of our RV time is spent snowbird camp hosting and babysitting for the grandchildren who live 1200 miles away. But we usually meander for a month on the way home from our snowbird state park campground home. Part of that is always a Habitat for Humanity stint for a couple weeks, usually Katrina relief on the Gulf Coast. We think doing some volunteer work in a place very different from home adds so much to our lives. We get the feel of a difffernt part of the country. For example we are about to head out to deep in the bayous of Louisiana for Habitat for two weeks. Very different from Wisconsin.

• Lee from Ohio - 14 years ago

Thus far we have been purposeful tourists, traveling to many interesting places. Especially spending much of one summer traveling to and in Alaska. But our goal is to become meandering tourists on a fulltime basis. Doing the Charles Kuralt thing, for those of you who remember him. Seeing and exploring an area until we have a good understanding of it, then moving on to the next interesting place. I think it will be amazing...

• Jim from RI - 14 years ago

We have worked to move with purpose lest we meander beyond our travels.

• steve&kristi - 14 years ago

I voted as working tourists. My husband and I have taken up the RV Lifestyle in our travels as he's a union welder. Opportunity calls, and often it'll be a sudden change. We decided that RVs are much, much better than hotel, motel. They are about as close to being home as you get, being on the go! Don't you just love sleeping in your own bed at nights, cooking your own reciepes in the kitchen...(or not). We love America's National Parks and devote time to see them; a definite must! So, thats our angle for a few years! ... Are we going backwards if we buy a home when we retire?? It may not happen that way, afterall, we are happy to have new destinations. That's just how we roll !!

• Mary Mitchell - 14 years ago

This is our first year of full time RVing. So far we have made a purposeful trip the first 6 months and now have moved on to more of a meandering tourist. We love National parks and have managed to visit seven so far. Sometimes it is hard to make it to those far off the main interstate roads but it has been well worth it. Eventually it will become a "Been there, done that" and move beyond that, but for now it is just great fun and making the most of it.

• Dalton Tamney - 14 years ago

I voted Other. We would like to be meanderers but oftern time is not on our side. We only have so many days of vacation until my wife retires so we tend to be purposeful in our travels. I don't know where we would fit. This year we are travelling to a favourite campground and using it as a base for 3 weeks while we explore the area. We would like to do this at a lot more places and take more time but that's the constraint. Not enough time. Where do we fit?

• Susan Hillman - 14 years ago

So far we have taken spring trips and fall trips because we like to stay home on Bowen Island, B.C. in the summertime but I do want to travel one complete winter sometime. Our destinations are often new places where we can meet up with specific RV friends but sometimes I pick a river or winery?? as destinations. We are still home/studio - based and RVing is our getaway! I love it.................

• C.H. Collins, 11 - 14 years ago

The Lord has bless me with the ability to work my business away from home. This allows my wife, and me to enjoy travels whenever we have the desire. Furthermore, this desire comes every weekend, some week days,and every holiday. Therefore, I must check all catagories, as we can identify with them all. RVing, WHAT A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

• Ty - 14 years ago

I concur w/Bob from PA in that we are a destination RV family w/a 9 year old who we cotton to when we plan an RV trip. In a few years we will become fulltimers and will become a working RV family.

• Carol Ann - 14 years ago

I'm full-timing it, but HAVE to work where ever I am and lucky for me I can usually find a job--I'm a nurse. No more supervisor, in-charge of the whole enchilada - now in my shift and home to peace in my rig. 70 yrs young and still living everyday to the fullest !

• Curtis McRee - 14 years ago

Wandering around in a motorhome is a good life to enjoy if there are two people doing that together.
    A man and a woman traveling around the U.S. enjoying all of Gods creations, Nat'l Parks, and everything interesting to see. We are meandering tourist. Going where ever we choose and staying as long as we desire.
    What a great life to be able to live.

• Image Creater - 14 years ago

We are going to retire into Oregon near Portland. Our daughters family lives in Ohio. We were going to make motor home trips across the northern states to visit them and stay awhile in Ohio. But now they are coming to live with us until our son-in-law gets his teaching credentials and our daughter gets her medical training. It is going to be me, as grandpa's, job to help the granddaughters get to and from school etc. That way our daughter and son-in-law can take whatever classes at whatever time they need to. My wife and I hope to sneak in some PURPOSEFUL motor home and cruise trips once in awhile. We have done a lot of both kinds of trips in the past and love it.
    I like to take two or more pictures and create an image. I want to take MEANDERING trips to explore an area to gather pictures for my images. Maybe everything will work out.
    Happy motor homing with whatever way you decide to do it. The main thing is get out and see this wonderful land of ours.

• JJ - 14 years ago

I voted "meandering tourist" because that is mostly what I do. But sometimes I'm a "purposeful" tourist, if I'm going to visit a friend, or headed to a volunteer spot.

• catchesthewind - 14 years ago

I am the quintessential rambling rose. I travel when I want and stay as long as a place interests me.

• Phil - 14 years ago

How about none of the above? We selected the "Other" catageory since we travel locally, 2-3 hundred miles each way. We have elderly relatives that we need to stay in relatively close contact with, and in case of emergency, need to get back home in three hours or so.
    I'm sure we're not the only ones in the local travel only categeory, for whatever reason, perhaps our jobs, but still can't travel around the country as freely as some.
    But we have the advantage of living in Florida where, when they're not filled up with snowbirds, campsites are plentiful and mostly inexpensive. We've learned that open campsites in the winter are hard to come by due to the snowbird squatters, but when they head back to their thawing northern homes we can again enjoy the beauty of the Florida RV parks.

• be - 14 years ago

The best part of a Motorhome is the ability to either turn right or left at any intersection, take a back road, or go straight to a destination. Ya got ta love it baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Harold DeVries - 14 years ago

Sofar we've been tourists with some destination in mind.
    In 2011 we intend to be the meandering type, since we will then have a bit more free time.
    We've spend some time with Habitat and other disaster relieve work, and it has always been very rewarding.
    We love to travel .

• Bob from Pa - 14 years ago

We have two younger children agtes 5 & 8 so I consider us "destination campers" in that it is the campground that is most important, If we choose a state park we look for a camping area that allows the kids to ride their bikes and has some trails nearby and perhaps a swimming area, If we choose a private campground then we look for a pool, playground, activities for the kids such as a movie night, ice cream social, make your own hot dogs or crafts. We have not done much sightseeing at times when we travel further we go with a group that usually has one or more toads and then we may take in one or two sights off the campground

• Les & Claire - 14 years ago

I listed us as Purposeful Tourist since we generally start out with some purpose or place in mind but often end up the Meandering Tourist. Of course, Meandering is a Purpose isn't it. We hope to not try out the Working Tourist (unless it is something fun) and should be OK if we stay out on the RV Sales lots.

• Brenda - 14 years ago

We also are meandering tourists as we travel to visit relatives as we make road trips to destinations planned about 6 months in advance, making many side trips along the way. We still have our children, their spouses, and grands near our home base in FL (not so warm this winter!) and usually plan 2 trips a year as we have commitments and projects to complete here before we can become full-timers.

• Allison - 14 years ago

I find the "we've moved beyond that" category, and apparently the mind-set of the authors, a bit condescending.
    It seems to indicate that touring and traveling (whether with a destination or without), to be at more immature form of RVing than whatever style the authors espouse or have adopted for themselves.

Which seems... peculiar, to say the least.

Add me to the "some from column A, some from column B" category- we do/have done/will do our fulltime tourist-ing in a hard-working, purposefully meandering sort of way-.

• B.J. and Heidi McCord - 14 years ago

We leave Texas in late April or early May to escape the 'Texas heat', and return
    in October.
    We always go to the West or NorthWest, where there are less people and much
    friendlier people, and find a cool clear lake in the mountains for my wife to catch
    all the Rainbow Trout that we can possibly eat at nights.

• M&M&M - 14 years ago

My husband is a Software consultant for the automotive business, therefore we will be able to go anywhere he is needed. We will be a mixture, however we plan to be working RVers from the beginning. We'll buy our RV as soon as we can sell one of our stix n brix properties in beautiful FL. I have family in Canada that we'll visit and we plan to travel throughout North America. We'll probably volunteer when opportunities are right. The time to hit the road can't come soon enough!

• Darlene Miller - 14 years ago

We are in the purposeful tourist catagory. We do visit family and friends but at times have another agenda. Last year it was to complete our travels in all the states and provinces so we headed from Yuma, Arizona to Newfoundland in Canada. This year we plan to return to Alaska but I will fly to Iowa for a high school reunion and nephew's wedding while Terry will go moose hunting with his son.

• Marilyn Bintz - 14 years ago

I had to check other. We have a general area and a list of what and where of things to see. But it is very flexible. This winter it was to be AZ. Then friends invited us to two different rallys so they got added. Thats what keeps it so much fun to full time.

• sue and ken - 14 years ago

What type of RVers are we? We are a little bit of all types. We wander until we get lost, We Love to set off with a purpose to visit friends, family and attend events, and working tourists as we love to volunteer in National Parks, and build Habitat houses. What a great life. We have it all.

• ruth - 14 years ago

I want and purpose to be a meandering tourist because I really don't care where I am as long as the weather is decent. However, it seems that we end up being purposeful tourist because there is always someplace that we need to go such as family or friends visits and invitations.

• Jean - 14 years ago

I retire in 20 months (actually 19 months and 3 weeks - not that I'm counting or anything) and will probably start out "purposeful tourist". There are people I want to visit. Then "meandering tourist". However, I will probably be a "working tourist" for the next few y ears!!

jean

Leave a Comment

0/4000 chars

Submit Comment