Thank you for voting Crowdsignal Logo

Which City Deserves Google Fiber the Most ? (Round I) (Poll Closed)

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

Total Votes: 1,724,780
448 Comments

• tablet laptop - 14 years ago

keep bringing up obama going to asheville. If asheville thinks they are so high and mighty then the are stupid

• tablet laptop - 14 years ago

I dont know how to thank you enough for this poll COOL COOL COOL

• Sunny - 14 years ago

Google should pick Greenville! We have numerous colleges including Clemson, USC (2 campuses), Greenville Tech, Wolford, Furman, etc. We have big companies like BMW, Michelin - and of course Starbucks! We have 2 major airports - and our own GSP was used by Air Force One when the President came here! We're 21st Century, but still maintain that small town charm. We have a Main Street that was voted one of the BEST in the country! We also have thousands of happy people who would be EVEN HAPPIER if Google brought their fiber network HERE!

• Martha - 14 years ago

Have you ever wondered why so many corporations have moved to Greenville? The lifestyle, culture including performing, visual, and children arts; award winning Main Street, Reedy River Falls, friendly people, the synergy between the city government, businesses, community leaders, and schools; the vision for this progressive city, professional and college sports, and the inspiring activities make Greenville a great place to live. People who visit here are often so impressed that they move here. Greenville is the place for Google!!

• wow - 14 years ago

Posted by HAHA on May 4th 2010, 5:31pm

"You people keep bringing up obama going to asheville. If asheville thinks they are so high and mighty then the are stupid. I live in Greenville and if any president had the time to come down here i am 100% shure he would like it as much as asheville. Besides obama is president he doesnt want to say anything bad about any of our states."

Wow... Calling us stupid? You're one to talk, learn some basic grammar.

• Low - 14 years ago

Bring Google to Asheville……we are diverse and concentrated and people want to live here.

• HAHA - 14 years ago

You people keep bringing up obama going to asheville. If asheville thinks they are so high and mighty then the are stupid. I live in Greenville and if any president had the time to come down here i am 100% shure he would like it as much as asheville. Besides obama is president he doesnt want to say anything bad about any of our states.

• Avoll - 14 years ago

Please... Ottumwa, IA

There is nothing to do here, and our internet sucks real bad. Its a small town "population 30,000 people", so it would be a good place to test the network systems.

• Martha - 14 years ago

Greenville has it all! This progressive city has the motivation and synergy which is perfect for Google Fiber!

• chris - 14 years ago

Asheville is where Google needs to be. I have been voting every day for Asheville!

• CRB - 14 years ago

Georgia can wait. New Orleans needs it first.

• James - 14 years ago

The President of the United States Of America came to Asheville because he likes it, Need I say more?

• jimmypader - 14 years ago

asheville is a leader in the green building movement! google should work with the green community to develop energy efficiency.

• George - 14 years ago

Memphis, Tennessee should absolutely get google fiber. memphis is a fantastic and very populated city to advertise google. Memphis is a very economic city and would benefit exceedingly more than any other city if they got google fiber. Memphis needs this and so does google. Memphis has a great history, the history of blues, rock and roll, and many many more. GO MEMPHIS

• Bob Poveromo - 14 years ago

Please take into account that there are only about 35,000 full-time residents of Hilton Head Island, SC but the impact of the town is much greater in that over 1,000,000 visitors come to our beautiful town each year and would also benefit from having access to fiber. Giving fiber to HHI would truly benefit people world-wide.

• kelly - 14 years ago

im not even sure if google will read this? but let me throw my two cents in. i am a college student in Greenville SC and i can say that we would TRULY LOVE to have google fiber in our city. There are SO MANY colleges around here-so MANY opportunities for this feature to be widely used and researched-and SO MANY thankful students on the edge of breakdown because their research wont get done unless the internet picks up speed. So, other than the fact that greenville is precious, i believe google fiber would find a really great base here to test its future and, in doing so, benefit the future of those here.

• kermitsgirl - 14 years ago

I think it should be noted that Hilton Head's population is approximately 33,000. That makes our vote count 25% of our population rather than the 1% indicated. The mere fact that our tiny island is so committed to competing with the "Big Guys" for this honor show what heart and passion we have for this project. We continually strive to maintain the eco-systems of our island while working to improve the technological elements of our community. Pick Hilton Head. We are the perfect test site to provide a crystal clear Before and After analysis. Thanks!

• Syd - 14 years ago

Asheville!! I think Asheville is the perfect place! I have lived here my whole life! Everyone, keep on voting for ASHEVILLE!!!!!

• ASHLANTIS - 14 years ago

The president came to Asheville, NC so should GOOGLE FIBER~~~

• Jennifer - 14 years ago

Google Fiber should pick Greenville! They would only have to visit to see what a wonderful community they would be joining... We are home to so many wonderful companies because we have it all! Just seem to be missing Google Fiber ;-)

• Anti Etc - 14 years ago

I live in asheville.

about 60% to 80% of down town is fucking amazing.
    The rest of down town is pure shit.
    Actually, the rest of ASHEVILLE is shit.
    The only good part about it is the 70% portion of down town.
    The rest of it is full of fucking assholes, fakes, and dumbasses tbh.
    Oh wait, I hate the world and want it to burn. : \
    Probably shouldn't post here LOL!

• Jim - 14 years ago

Of all the cities actually in the running, only Greenville makes sense. No other has the climate, the atmosphere, and the innovative people with advanced thinking. Greenville is an advanced town, not a tourist destination (although everyone who visits with their eyes open want to move here!!).

• Sarah - 14 years ago

I was just in Asheville and it is way too difficult to get around. We totally got lost on some very confusing roads and was told by someone who lives in Asheville that it is very difficult to get around in. Greenville is much easier and simpler. People are from all over, a melting pot, like the USA. Great family city as opposed to Asheville.

• Kat - 14 years ago

To get back on track from name calling to actual comments, I'm a college student in Greenville, and I absolutely love the city. Asheville is a nice place too, and I have visited several times, but I don't think they deserve Google Fiber quite as much as Greenville. I just hope that whoever makes the decision spends time actually visiting both cities. The decision will be clear.

• Jim Johnson - 14 years ago

Asheville is full of transplanted America hating liberals. Taxes are high, goverment is corrupt and they cannot balance the budget without raiding funds, using forced annexation to steal peoples land and raising fees and taxes. Avoid Asheville like the plague. As a native to the area the new Asheville is not what it was before all the weirdos and transplants decided to move here and destroy the culture and heritage. Anything you bring here they will find a way even if its free to tax or fee you for the thought.

• Meka - 14 years ago

Hi-
    Asheville is diverse and yet cohesive, the city government actually cares about it's people because WE are the people and care about our town and the future of our generations to come. The range of expertise is ever growing as so many are attracted to Asheville, moving here and adding their talents to the pool, specifically because they care and know they have a voice in helping shape this city with a heart.
    With that said, I believe that of all the cities to be picked for Google Fiber, Asheville will be able to manage the inevitable growth in a thoughtful, sustainably planned manner, to be a model for the rest of the country facing global issues. Our non-profit sector is one of the largest in the country and is poised for an even broader scope of influence in the US and worldwide via the technology advancements this project will provide. Our universities and community colleges are already actively training people in Medical, Digital Media and Computer Technologies, and a host of other fields that will be directly influenced and utilized in Google Fiber's project based in Asheville.
    Thank you Google for the opportunity you are offering and consider Asheville as your other home.
    M.

• brennan - 14 years ago

yea the warm and beautiful weather down here is pretty good evan!!! we have beautiful places to visit and the some of the nicest people in the south!!! and you ashville hippies are calling US rednecks, look at yourselves!!!!!

• Donna - 14 years ago

Pick us because Kansas City, Mo. is the "Heart" of America!

• Lex Nordlinger - 14 years ago

Greenville should most definitely get Google Fiber. Im a teenage and i hang out there every weekend. ive been in quiet a few other cities, and non of their downtowns compared. Whatever you do, dont give it to Asheville. they're freaky!

• Josh - 14 years ago

Look at all the people from greenville taking cheap shots at asheville, I'm not even from asheville and I agree that they deserve this google fiber.

• Evan Kelley - 14 years ago

Hey Greenville, as most of you know from personal experience~ Asheville is an actual destination; not just another dot on the map... Besides, you only have to look up to us "geographically" already when you all come visit.
    Oh' yeah, how's the hot and humid weather going for ya.

• Bubba - 14 years ago

Posted by Eddie on April 19th 2010, 5:55pm
    Asheville is getting more and more votes, with greenville losing votes every day.

We WILL win, and you stupid greenville rednecks cant do anything about it.

Eddie, you are calling us rednecks? Wow, classy indeed. Ignorant hippy

• Cody - 14 years ago

Google should pick Greenville because we just simply rock! Asheville has NOTHING on GVegas!!!!

• Mike H - 14 years ago

Google should not buld in Asheville, this town is a joke there is 0 infrastructure, resources and alot to do about nothing. Asheville is the definition of town that has no heart nor soul, it thinks it does the people that live here care nothing about anything that happens outside downtown

• guttermonk - 14 years ago

I never said I was classy, or that my statement wasn't arrogant. This has gotten out of hand though. These posts are supposed to explain why your town would be the best for Google. I am aware, as I was at the time, that I did not do that in the comment that first started this discord....I was just expressing my preferences between the two towns, being familiar with them both.

I, like you I assume, love the town I live in, and could see it benefiting greatly from this opportunity. I have a lot of good friends down there still. It does not mean that I have to like the town though. We have taken up enough space here with this tiff. Good luck to you with this competition....

• Max - 14 years ago

WOW!! guttermonk, do you REALLY associate your comment of Greenville being the "armpit of the south east" with showing some class? And then you choose to berate a fellow Gville classy citizen for calling your comments "arrogant", which is exactly what they were?!?!? .... "Greenville wishes it was as sweet as ashville"
    Keep representing, but please try staying with one personality so that you will at least earn a little bit of credibility.

• Axle - 14 years ago

GREENVILLE! that is all that needs to be said

Do you really think one persons "arrogance" can rightfully represent the attitude of thousands, and out weigh the positivity of that entire culture? I lived in Greenville for 6 years. I would hesitate to call it classy. I like Asheville much, much better. That is my opinion, and that's all it is. Trying to make it out to be more than that is kinda silly. I believe that Google is smart enough to know that. Have a nice day, no matter where you live.

• Sarah - 14 years ago

Greenville is the best choice because we are not only a family-friendly community, but we are highly business as well. It is the perfect place to live because we are small enough to really know each other but big enough to be able to host many companies.

Here is what the Greenville Area Develpment Corporation says, "The Greenville Area Development Corporation (GADC) is a public-private economic development partnership dedicated to the growth and prosperity of Greenville County, South Carolina. Our mission is to assist new and existing companies in growing or relocating here, thereby improving the quality of life of every Greenville County citizen.

We assist organizations by providing economic development resources, site location assistance, custom research, and serving as a liaison with local and state government and the Greenville business community.

Greenville County offers the perfect combination of industry, work force and culture for business location or expansion. As a warm southern community with a diverse economy and an abundance of international businesses and amenities, how can we assist you?"

• Rob - 14 years ago

Google:

Just look at the number of Asheville posters taking cheapshots at Greenville. Do you really want to take your product to such an arrogant group of posters? Stay classy, choose Greenville.

• Amanda - 14 years ago

KANSAS CITY ALL THE WAY!!!!!

• Max - 14 years ago

You represent ashy very well there dre, right along with guttermonk. However, I hope you realize both of your comments contradict each other. Sweet, huh?
    Painting on the same canvas with different strokes of the ad hominem brush often lead to a distorted result. But maybe you two are a picasso in the making ;)

• kerianne - 14 years ago

GO GREENVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dre - 14 years ago

Asheville is getting more and more votes, with greenville losing votes every day.

We WILL win, and you stupid greenville rednecks cant do anything about it.

• Eddie - 14 years ago

Greenville Rules!! everywhere else Blows!!

• Max - 14 years ago

armpits and body odor are unfortunate things I associate with the smell of downtown ashy....why so many stinky people? ashy does have soap and water doesnt it? Its an ok place for the mountains, but seriously, someone there needs to start a bar of soap brigade for charity.

• bill - 14 years ago

Well, Greenville iS the best place for a trial of anything IT related.
    I love Asheville, but let me tell you, when I'm in the mountains(frozen ground and all) I am there for leisure, as the rest of her non residents would be, and well, i don' even check my email while playing in the mountains.If Greenville wins, Google wins.
    buy the way folks, the vote is just for US. Google will make it's decision using the "Vote" to help... but thats all.
    Google should and will be in Greenville, the infrastructure, is readily available, we are dense in the city, not spread out like other "small" towns. And our Business Development is second to none that I'm aware of....who knows what our Chamber has done for us...and can for Google.start with a town thats already rolling....help us shift into "High" gear!!! GREENVILLE ... ~Google for Greenville~

Greenville wishes it was as sweet as Asheville. They know it too, because we are neighbors. I don't know if you have ever been to Greenville, but it's kinda like the armpit of the south east, especially the suburbs surrounding the city. Asheville is like the heart of the southeast, a cultural mecca full of spirit, creativity, and a strong sense of community. People from Greenville like to come here to get away, or experience the mountains or part of the special energy here. You won't find many folks from Asheville visiting Greenville, unless we are passing through on our way to Atlanta. That's just the way it is.....

• nicole jensen - 14 years ago

Google should pick Asheville because the even the Obama's choose our fun and beautiful city for their vacation.

• HEATH - 14 years ago

I LIVE IN EASLEY, SC WHICH IS IN THE METRO AREA OF GREENVILLE, SC.....GREENVILLE IS YOUR B-E-S-T CHOICE GOOGLE....

GOOOO GREENVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Gail - 14 years ago

Greenville, SC deserves Google fiber the most!
    Millennium Campus, a bridge between industry and academia, is being developed here right now. This high-tech corridor with more engineers per capita than any other region would flourish with the addition of Google fiber. See the campus mission and masterplan here: www.millenniumcampus.com

• Casey - 14 years ago

Asheville!!! Comments about ballot stuffing make no sense applied only to Asheville and Greenville - if ballot stuffing is occurring, it could be happening for any city, regardless of size. Asheville is high in the polls because it's a great place to live, work and play, and people who live or visit here know that. There's no reason for being negative in this poll. If you don't like a place, keep it to yourself and support your own choice!

• Trace - 14 years ago

I'd agree, ballot stuffing for sure going on, when you see how small Greenville / Asheville are.They're the ones who created the poll, and so it's like a fox in the henhouse. They can pad with whatever numbers they please. I bet the tons of comments here are put out by a handuful of people too to give the impression of a lot of comments. from those cities. Everyone knows that "professional bloggers" exist to distort public perception. This is no exception.

• Eric - 14 years ago

This poll is totally bogus without Raleigh, NC - the most wired city in America.

• Evan Kelley - 14 years ago

Let's hope Google and everybody else puts -per capita into perspective!
    Demography to votes, Asheville NC is definitely on top!!
    We're really a "tight net" of a city, and are well deserved of a ~tight net.

• Linda - 14 years ago

Asheville is quirky… from Land of the Sky to Beer City, this place has a sense of humor. Great motorcycling roads too!

• tonkatim420 - 14 years ago

Spokane, WA FTW!!!

• Quasar - 14 years ago

Add - Spokane, WA - please. We entered too.

• Bonnie - 14 years ago

As you can read here in the web comments section, Asheville is diverse in its' opinions. One of my favorite things to do each morning while I drink my coffee is read the editorial section of the Asheville Citizen-Times. The latest debatable social and political movements are discussed and fraught over on this page: more so than in any other newspaper I've ever read. Asheville's openess and diversity in free speech are a wonderful match for the company which challenges China's censorship (hope y'all Asians get to read this (fabulous drumming Olympics!) and good luck!) Yes, GOOGLE and Asheville. Come ON!

• Dre - 14 years ago

Asheville For sure

greenville is full off stupid rednecks, what do they need internet for?

• Christa - 14 years ago

Asheville is growing very much. This place was amazing in the time on Banjamin Franklin, and many other great people in the world who came to visit or live. Many amazing souls were born here! Asheville is a place of Spiritual Enlightment. All in all, Asheville should get this, because it is the most proggresive and amazing out of most competitors.

• Scott - 14 years ago

I think ASHEVILLE makes the most sense for this project. I would think that Google has much to gain from outfitting Asheville with a fiber network given it's proximity to their Data Center in Lenoir, NC. It doesn't hurt either that it's a small, tightly knit community where the local government is actually efficient & dedicated to the proper kinds of growth that impacts it's citizens the greatest. I'm thinking Google should continue to invest in North Carolina...

• Joe - 14 years ago

I think there is definitely some ballot-stuffing going on here, considering the relative population of the "leaders" in this poll and how much they are leading by....

• Rob - 14 years ago

Asheville is always progressing, this place is getting bigger and bigger every day. It would be a smart move to pick Asheville.

• Jacob - 14 years ago

Greenville South Carolina!!!! Greenville should get this amazing opportunity because we are a small city yet thriving on these polls, we have heart and are always growing and bettering ourselves! Google is the shit and Greenville SC is ready for you!

• Cottonmouth - 14 years ago

Longview, Tx. should win this work. You won't find a better city in the US to work with and will take care of Google's needs. We have a pro active government who wants cutting edge technology and people to run that technology. I promise one visit here and you will be sold on the people and the area. Come on down the fish are biting.

• Pursual - 14 years ago

Wow, people STILL think this is a google poll...

• Noah Cecil - 14 years ago

Greenville South Carolina should be picked. Greenville County Schools could really use the Google Fiber. It would make education easier and faster.

• angiecat - 14 years ago

Ditto! I've lived in Asheville for 44 years. I've never seen anything but progressiveness here. Positive movement forward describes our collective mindset. Google deserves us as much as we deserve Google. Good luck all other cities, but Ashevillians are fierce forces of nature!

• Nadine - 14 years ago

Asheville is the warmest COOL city in the country! I've lived in the northeast, Hawaii and California (several cities). Asheville has warm friendly sincere people both natives and transplants), lots of artsy folks, virtual home businesses and diverse people with different lifestyles and beliefs. Yet we all coexist in an awesome way. Why? Because we all chose to live here because we LOVE this place. We all live in a place that has the most awesome mountains, lakes, waterfalls and forests just a stones throw from where we live (and in many back yards!). We deserve Google fiber!!!

• Monty Craig - 14 years ago

Hey Google, we love Ashville but Greenville is the place to be. If you come to Greenville, you might as well consider yourself in Ashville, Charlotte, and Atlanta. We all do here. Whenever you want to head up the hill you can be in Ashville in no time or hit 85N or S and be in the big cities. Greenville has become the US's biggest little secret. We are on our way with or without you! We have built a world class business and research center here along with a world class cultural center. I am a musician (who has lived in NYC, Boston, and Austin/San Antonio) and I am proud to call Greenville an awesome music/arts/food/cultural city. Along with all of these things, although we are a little more conservative religiously, we are right along our Ashville counterparts on the environment and nature. We hope you will consider us for your new home!

Monty Craig
    Professor of Jazz Guitar and Combos
    Clemson University

• Communic8r - 14 years ago

Asheville is such a truly fine place; it is growing in a smooth and sensible way. It is at the same time wildly Bohemian and yet safe and sensible. Did I mention that the weather is interesting without being scary. This is a great place to live, love and to invest in your future.

My wife and I love this town and we do love our technology. We have each been voting every day for Google fiber to come to our fair city.

This mountain hamlet is an ideal place to study the impact of leveraging high speed internet and there are surely enough engaged, technically savvy folks here to make great use of this 'gift'.

BRING IT ON!!

• Shafiq - 14 years ago

I'd like to suggest that the voting somehow take into account the varying populations of the different cities. For example, Humboldt County's total population is only 129,000 whereas the Greenville metropolitan area has a population of over 600,000, or Austin which has a population of 1.7 million. It is obvious that it would be much easier to get a large number of votes from a larger urban area than from a smaller one. Perhaps each vote cast should be weighted so that each vote represents the same percentage of the population.

Even if everyone in Humboldt County voted every day for 30 days, it would only take everyone in Austin voting for slightly more than 2 days to equal that number of votes.

• Brent - 14 years ago

Dayton Ohio should definitely be in consideration. The application website is at http://www.averageandawesome.com/

It is the birthplace of aviation, and has an amazing history of technology and innovation to work from.

• Thomas - 14 years ago

I have to agree with posted by Ida ealier. I recently did a report on how may people are unemployed in greenville. While some people think we dont need it school and office computers are god awful slow and with google coming here it will help many people get jobs so they can take care of their families.

• Thomas - 14 years ago

Greenville is the place for google to pick because we are a great city and we have many companies here. People love to come to greenville and everyone here deserves Google fiber the most. Cause we have so many compaines it would be great for google to start with us. We have so much spirit. Why do yo think we spelled google with glow sticks. We care the most and deserve it the most. GO GREENVILLE!!!!!!1

• John - 14 years ago

I would have to agree with the comment aboved Flour has flourished in Greenville and they have also proved that gigantic companies can come to Greenville and be amazingly successful.

• Chris - 14 years ago

Everyone has mentioned some of the big companies in Greenville, SC but everyone has failed to mention the biggest construction company in the US, Flour Daniels, and they chose Greenville for thier International Headquarters!! coincidence?? I think not.

• GM - 14 years ago

Greenville SC rocks...look at all the thoughtful comments. Thanks to all in our community who are working to bring Google to Gville. We love Google in Greenville.

• Emily - 14 years ago

I am writing to encourage Google to come to Muncie, IN! We might not be a bigger city, but we have a lot of potential! I have lived here most of my life. We have a diverse community & a top notch college here. Ball State University is one of the top universities in several areas. One of those areas happens to be in telecommunications. We have also been the subject of the Middletown studies. The city would also appreciate what Google would bring to our community!

• Ida - 14 years ago

We came here to south Carolina 5 years ago, wish it could have been 25 years ago.This is by far the best place to live.Businesses are finding it out now too. Won't you join some of the BIG companies that chose Greenville to set up business like BNW,Michelin,Miliken 7nd Fuji just to name a few and heaven knows we sure can use the jobs in our area.

• judy - 14 years ago

Greenville is definetely the best. We've got lots of companies, great home prices, decent schools. wonderful people! We have the best downtown and our surrounding communities--Clemson, Greer, simpsonville, Easley, Spartaqnbury, anderson etc are also great in their own way. The only thing we are missing here is the beach--but hey, lakes are cool too.

We are located between Atlanta and Charlotte--minus the traffic of both of those cities and only 45 minutes from Ashville!

Come here Google. We love u!

• JS - 14 years ago

Greenville SC is the best city for Google fiber. Good reasons are highlighted in the USAIR magazine for March, 2010.
    US Air says: This isn’t your average downtown. This isn’t a block or two of renovated warehouses, pricey bistros, and contemporary art galleries. What Greenville, South Carolina, has done to its downtown makes other cities green with envy— think inventive restaurants, locally owned boutiques, a stellar arts scene,and a 30-acre park with pedestrian bridge and waterfall. (And that’s barely skimming the surface.) Located just two hours from Atlanta and Charlotte, this is one cool city, with forward-thinking leaders and a clear-cut plan that has transformed downtown into the destination it is today." Check out the photos and see why Greenville is at the top of the voting poll.
    Check it out using this link:
    http://www.usairwaysmag.com/city_profiles/city/greenville/

• :) - 14 years ago

greenville!!!!!!

• Dana - 14 years ago

Greenville is a great place to really show what Google can do for a community. The mix of people and types of users would showcase how great Google is for families, students, members of the international community, businesses - the list goes on.

Asheville has way more votes per capita. The community of Asheville as a whole is obviously way more interested in this opportunity.

• Andy - 14 years ago

Please add Mt. Pilot, NC to your list of towns. We've cast lots of votes, all of which had to go into the 'other' category.

• Bob - 14 years ago

Cincinnati (The Heartland of the USA) is the obvious choice. As soon as the news media gets hold of this poll Cincinnati will leave you all in the dust.

• Red Miller - 14 years ago

Greenville would work best for Google.

Let's look at what the Google Fiber FAQ says Google is looking for, and why Greenville fits:

1) "Above all, we're interested in deploying our network efficiently and quickly, and are hoping to identify interested communities that will work with us to achieve this goal."

Check.

2) "We also want to work with a community where we can bring significant benefits to residents and develop useful proofs-of-concept that can have a broader impact. For example, we're looking for opportunities to experiment with deployment techniques that can inform and accelerate broadband deployment elsewhere as well."

Check. Greenville's location between Charlotte and Atlanta is an ideal location for a GoogleFiber test. Not only is it accessible to the Internet, but Internet2 is accessible from Greenville.

3) "To that end, we'll use our RFI to identify interested communities and to assess local factors that will impact the efficiency and speed of our deployment, such as the level of community support, local resources, weather conditions, approved construction methods and local regulatory issues."

Check. Community support demonstrated. Weather conditions will not interfere with deployment. Other local factors (such as government support) will help the project, etc.

4) "We will also take into account broadband availability and speeds that are already offered to users within a community. "

Check. There's currently no high speed access like Google Fiber in Greenville. No Verizon FIOS or anything even remotely close to the bandwidth being contemplates. The strong support for Greenville demonstrates the pent-up demand for such a service.

As many others have noted: http://wearefeelinglucky.com

• Jim - 14 years ago

C'mon Asheville, now we're only 24,00 votes behind. We can make that up!!!!

• Ali - 14 years ago

We moved to Greenville, SC from upstate NY 3 years ago and will never look back! It took 3 months of serious research to make our decision to move here, but after two days in Greenville, to see if we liked it "in person", we bought a house! It's a movin', happenin' place, always on the forefront with a gorgeous downtown, arts, music, enthusiasm, mountains, great universities, libraries, museums. I just love it here. The people are warm, welcoming, friendly, and have a great sense of where we should all be in the next 5, 10 15 years. Planning ahead and jumping on the pleasant surprises are equally important. We love Google! Come on down!

• Mark Paschke - 14 years ago

Please include the Village of Grafton, WI on your list!
    More votes to come...

• Racer - 14 years ago

Asheville is full of wonderful, intelligent, hardworking people who are real & creative in & out of work. They will be just what Google is looking for - We fit together like PeanutButter&Jellies :) Seriously this city is Exactly what Google is all about! Let's make it happen ya'll!

• Rich Neste - 14 years ago

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina would love to have Google!!! We are a resort destination with over 2.5 Million visitors a year. We are a growing community built with nature in mind.

• D Toronto - 14 years ago

Google should pick Greenville, SC because it has the highest number of engineers per capita in the country which means the infrastructure that google will provide will help those who need fast connections to perform data analysis.

• Raman (R. P.) Rama - 14 years ago

Who did we ask questions to before Google? Each other as we all are one big family helping each other grow and learn from each other. Now we welcome Google to our family as after Google was born we ask questions to Google and Google has never failed us why now? We welcome Google with open arms to be standing and progressing side by side with us. Google you will love Greenville. Come on down and visit us. Our Mayor Workman and the business leaders are very forward thinking and we have their support and backing to bring you in our Home.

We are home to some major companies. This is a diverse community with an international flavor. 5 Universities, Great Hospital System, Home of ICAR (International Center for Automotive Research) one of its kind in the world. Home of BMW, Michellin, Fuji, Milliken, Proterra, JHM Hotels just to name a few. All the Techies all over Greenville and the surrounding 20 mile radius. All forward thinking and active with the GSATC and its IT Advisory Council headed by Mr. Phil Yanov makes our city proud. Lot of innovators and new startup companies make Greenville their home.

Best Wishes

We are a very Diverse community. Our Local and County Government work well with all companies that make Greenville a home of their own. It is difficult to put all the good things in words. You just have to come and experience it. Visit us and we will have red carpet waiting for you.

Google starts with G and Greenville Starts with G we are GreenVille. We are Green and will continue to work towards converting our city as city of the future, Young, Energetic and Classy.

Best Wishes and Hope you will consider Greenville your HOME.

• Holmes - 14 years ago

Johnson City, Tn is the place to be. It is the former hangout of Al Capone, has annual festivals, and an up and coming Dental Program at the city located East Tennessee State University. Population 62,000+ and growing FAST!

• Welsh - 14 years ago

ASHEVILLE ... you know you want to live and work here ... !

• Jill - 14 years ago

Pick Hudson Ohio! We're in a good location and have people who would really appreciate it!

• Trudy Eaton - 14 years ago

How cute would it be if Google had a "GOOGLE ISLAND".......Go Hilton Head Island!!!
    Ya'll come see us , ya' hear.................

Leave a Comment

0/4000 chars

Submit Comment

Create your own.

Opinions! We all have them. Find out what people really think with polls and surveys from Crowdsignal.